Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Now it's REALLY COLD!





It's just 8 degrees F. / -13 C.

with lots of wind blowing a small amount of new snow.

Be wary of the Wind Chill!


Click the image for more amazing photographs from SnoCrystals.com!

(The annual visit to my favorite "snow appreciation site!")

*****************


WKTV's forecast: "Snows will wind down gradually on Tuesday but windy and bitterly cold conditions will continue along with some localized blowing snow. Highs tomorrow near 10. Wind chills minus 5 to minus 15.

Winds should diminish on Tuesday Night with partially clearing skies. Low zero. Partly sunny Wednesday. High 20-25."





Yesterday's forecast called for everything from 2 to 4 to (overheard at Fallon's) 15 inches of snow.

Paul Holic and Kevin Kelley were two of many who decided to make room for it.




**************************



This was the scene at the corner of Main Street and Route 315 early Sunday morning: the DOT - with Mayor Younes on the sidelines - were looking for a broken water main! More DOT personnel were at the point of Monument Park checking a line there, but as of yesterday afternoon the only sign I saw of digging was in the O'Briens' front yard on E. Bacon Street. Whether or not the incidents are related, I have no idea, but the only good thing to be said about any of it is that it happened before this morning's "cold snap!"


*************************



Yesterday afternoon's Country Views:

Sally Road, above ..........



........... and Lewis Road west of Route 12.

******************

IN THE NEWS

One of the twenty windmills at the Fenner Wind Farm fell down, over the weekend.
"Safety Oversight Lacking," from the Observer-Dispatch.


Erin Hamlin

I think that by now we all know who Erin Hamlin is and what she does*, but now she's earned another claim to fame: "Hamlin Among Top Female Athletes."

* Click here to learn about the luge!


****************

My "feathered friends?"




I keep filling bird feeders, but between the red squirrel and ......


......... greedy gray squirrels, it's almost a losing battle.


Does anyone have any suggestions?
Something that I can sprinkle around that squirrels don't like?


FOR THE RECORD



Yesterday afternoon I received a very nice letter from a Mr. John Ogden who had grown up in Waterville and is a blog-follower. He'd noticed, suddenly, that he was "hit" number 200,001, and was enjoying that bit of unusual excitement. Then, this morning, I found an E-note from Rob Verdon on Putnam Street saying that he was the 200,000th viewer, around 3;30 yesterday afternoon. He included this screen snap which, I imagine, I should print and frame.

It never occurred to me that I should have "door prizes" on hand for just such blog viewers: Oh dear! Maybe I can think of something!

Two-hundred-thousand sounds like such a huge number! But -- does anyone have any idea how that compares to other "small town" based blogs?

Whatever - my thanks, again, to all of you who got in on the race. It makes a very memorable Christmas present for me!

Have a Great Day, everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment