Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday-Monday




29.5 degrees at 8:30 Sunday morning.

There was a heavy frost but despite earlier forecasts there's no snow at all.

(Well, at least my snow shovels, gloves, boots, etc. are all out!)

**************


FIRST THINGS FIRST!


and

HAPPY 50th BIRTHDAY

to

JIM WRATTEN!



*****************


ALSO:

YAY WATERVILLE!


"Waterville Rolls over New York Mills" from the O-D;

"Waterville Cruises to Playoff Win Over New York Mills," from WKTV.

WCS will meet Notre Dame on October 24 at Proctor.


*****************



It looks as if it will be a nice week!





The "golden days" of the year.



Main Street was quiet, Saturday afternoon ............



............. but people were busy trimming ...........




........... and raking .............




............... and buying pumpkins .............



............... and decorating.



Library Director Jeff Reynolds had been to Cape Cod .............





................. and Jody Hildreth explored a new waterfall ...........




............. where he found baneberries and ferns ......



........ all sorts of mushrooms and fungii and even "blue wood," which he says is caused by the beetle-borne fungus Ophiostoma.

*****************

MEANWHILE, ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD ........

Glen Carroll took a few more photos as he was leaving Paris:



........... fascinating architecture .........





............ statues everywhere ...........



and Gare du Nord, or, "North Station."

(Incidentally, that was his brother David, class of 1974.)

********


A few hours later he's on his way to his offices in Jordan ....................




........... where the architecture's completely different!

"Everything's made of concrete because wood is a pretty high commodity here."



"This is my director's home. He used to own 11 McDonald's stores in the Buffalo area."







"Al Afghani Gifts.... I have been coming to the Middle East for 10 years and have visited during every trip. I started as a tourist and now I go there mainly just for Arabic Coffee and to visit."







These are the owners, Wael Al-Karas and Mamoony Bara.

"They were very excited when I told them their photo would be on your blog, so tomorrow and Monday you will have some Egyptian (currently living in Jordan) visitors to your blog!!!!"


Greetings to Wael Al-Karas and Mamoony Bara, from the blogger! I think that I would like VERY MUCH to meet you and to go shopping in your store! I would certainly want to buy one of everything and would need a very large suitcase to bring my purchases home!



"The woman in the this photo is Nawal Abdallah. She has visited Waterville twice and is the wife of my Director."



**********



Just in - from Kuwait.

"As far as the eye can see during landing is oil holding tanks and Desert!!!!! "

and Glen added: "I finally got 7 hours of sleep. Last week all the travel has caused me to average about 4 a night."

(For those of you who are savvy about such things, Glen sends his photos and messages to me by iPhone!)


(My husband and I went to Egypt about twenty years ago and I remember the same sort of view landing in Cairo: the city faded to sand to endless deep blue sky. The sunshine was always super-bright because there are were no clouds! One day we saw a very small one: a rare occurrence, there!)



FOR THE RECORD


The New York Yankees have won two in a row.
Next game against the Angels is Monday at 4:13.



Yesterday morning.



Yesterday at 4:00 P.M.

WHOA!

************************

I think I'm heading northward early tomorrow morning, so there may not be a blog post.


Back on Tuesday, for sure!


Soon: a story about the Tower Farm and the "Hinman Barn."




No comments:

Post a Comment